Your Personal Best: Side leg lift
As we get older, it’s so important to strengthen our leg muscles, especially the lower extremities.
This simple exercise can help you do just that, and all you need to do it is a chair.
Side leg lift:
- Standing behind the chair about a foot away, place your hand on top of the chair
- Flex your toes so one foot is just off the ground, then rotate your leg out from the hip
- Bring your leg slowly back in
- Repeat for 10 repetitions
- Repeat on the opposite side
- Go through a total of two to three sets on each side
This exercise, when done two to three days a week, can help strengthen your hips and legs, said Dr. Milady Murphy.