WOMAN ESCAPES MORNING BLAZE IN COKER

A Tuscaloosa County woman is lucky to be alive after her mobile home was engulfed in flames this morning.

Escaping a fire is hard enough when you have 20/20 vision, but the woman who survived the fire is blind, fire officials said.

The call came in around 9:30 a.m. for the Coker fire, and Northport Fire Rescue and the Coker Volunteer Fire Department rushed there to found the home completely ablaze.

But first responders said the woman escaped with just a few minor cuts after she smelled smoked and heard unusual sounds coming from her dryer.

Northport Fire Rescue Chief Bart Marshal said dryers are often the source of house fires, but there are some ways you can mitigate the chances.

“Clean out your dryer vents at least once a month,” Marshal said. “Then after every load, make sure you clean out your filter.”

Any air conditioning service can help with a dryer vent inspection, Marshal said.

The mobile home was declared a total loss.

Categories: Archives, Local News