VOTER CAMPAIGN HOPES TO SWAY ELECTORAL COLLEGE AWAY FROM TRUMP VOTE

Vote Switch00000000

By WVUA 23 Student Reporter Madison MacLean

There have been recent efforts from unhappy voters to make sure Donald Trump doesn’t make it to the White House.

“The thing that makes this so unusual is that there seems to be an orchestrated campaign by some people who are disappointed in the results of the presidential vote,” said Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill.

Alabama electors and influencers have been flooded with messages from voters to switch sides, and some voters even say “anything but Donald.”

Electors in other states have received similar pleadings, but Alabama seems to be sticking with it’s decision.

The electoral college casts their votes on Dec. 19.

Pickens County GOP Chairman Bob Cusanelli is West Alabama’s only Electoral College voter, and he said he’s been hearing from many, many Alabamians ahead of his vote.

“About 80 percent of them want me to vote for Hillary because of the popular vote,” he said. “And the other 20 percent just wants me to vote for somebody other than Donald Trump.”

While there’s no penalty for not voting as the popular vote did, Cusanelli said it’s all about being a loyal representative.

“(Voters who go outside the state vote) are considered a faithless elector, and I don’t want to be a faithless elector,” he said.

Electors in other states have gotten the same pleas, but in Alabama, the electors seem to be sticking with the state’s Donald Trump pick.

Categories: Archives, Local News