Stillman honors ‘Alabama Female Firsts’ on Founder’s Day
By WVUA 23 News Reporter Elise Anzaldua
Stillman College continued its Founders Week Celebration Thursday with the 145th Founder’s Day Convocation.
This year, the college honored their fourth class of Alabama Female Firsts. In all, 15 women were honored for their contributions within the Tuscaloosa community and beyond.
Stillman College President Cynthia Warrick said it’s important to honor women who are making a difference.
“We want their stories to be heard, we want their voice to be there and for everyone to recognize how important they are to us and our community,” Warrick said.
U.S. Senate candidate Katie Boyd Britt delivered the keynote address, but she was also an Alabama Female Firsts inductee.
Vivian Malone Jones was recognized posthumously for being the first Black graduate of the University of Alabama.
“If you look at Vivian Malone Jones and the trail she blazed for so many people, and you look at the women honored today, each of them is breaking glass ceilings in their own way and making sure people behind them have even greater opportunity than they did,” Britt said.
Other inductees included:
- Cynthia Almond, State Rep., House District 63
- Cynthia Anthony, President, Lawson State Community College
- Elisabeth French, Presiding Judge, Jefferson County Circuit Court
- Debbie Hughes, Vice President of Computer Services for IBM’s DXC Technology Worldwide
- Liz Huntley, litigation attorney, Franklin & White, LLC
- Natalie Kelly, Director of Corporate Responsibility, Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
- Bobbie Knight, President, Miles College
- Jacqueline Morgan, Founder and Director, University of Alabama Fellows Program
- Concetta Odongo, Regional Communications Manager and Alabama Community Relations Manager. Michelin Tire Manufacturing
- Mildred Robinson Porter, Owner, WQZZ-FM
- Felicia Rucker, Retired Deputy Chief, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Robbie Gosa Washington, Senior Vice President and Director of Compliance, SmartBank
- Danielle Winningham, Executive Director, Tuscaloosa County Economic Development Authority