PORTABLE CLASSROOMS INSTALLED AT SEVERAL CITY SCHOOLS
By WVUA 23 Student Reporter Meredith Barbrick
The Tuscaloosa City Schools Board of Education is installing portable classrooms to accommodate extra students who will be housed at new schools during construction beginning this school year.
The school system has already rezoned the students to their temporary schools. The portables will not be permanent and will only be used while upgrading the school facilities.
- Central Elementary students are relocating to the Stillman Heights campus.
- Oak Hill School is vacating the Stillman Heights property and its students will be split and moved to three campuses: the elementary alternative education program is staying at its current site, the program for students with special needs will remain at its current site, and Success Prep and STARS for grades 6-12 will be moved to Westlawn Middle School.
- Arcadia Elementary is relocating to Tuscaloosa Magnet Schools’ campus at 315 McFarland Blvd. E.
- Skyland Elementary is relocating to 2605 Southview Drive later in June, which is the former location of Southview Middle School.
- Southview Middle School merges with Eastwood Middle School.
TCS District 7 Board Member Erskine Simmons said it’s an exciting time for the system.
“What we are doing here is transforming the city system as we know it today,” he said. “The classrooms of today will prepare for the classrooms of tomorrow.”