LOCAL MAN DEAD AFTER COPPERHEAD SNAKE BITE AT SMITH LAKE

Southern Copperhead 1329055 1920

A West Alabama man who worked for the city of Northport has died after he was bitten by a venomous snake.

Oliver Baker died Monday after being bitten three days earlier by a copperhead at the family’s home on Smith Lake.

Baker was on the patio playing with their puppy when the snake struck, according to his family.

Doctors said they believe that the 52-year old man who many called “Chum” had a severe allergic reaction from the copperhead’s venom, and he was pronounced dead at a hospital in Huntsville.

Baker worked in water quality control for the City of Northport.

Categories: Archives, Local News