Local businesses recognized for awards at Tuscaloosa Tourism Bash last week
By WVUA 23 Digital Reporter Kyrsten Eller
On Nov. 4, Tuscaloosa Tourism and Sports hosted the Tuscaloosa Tourism Bash, an event celebrating the opportunity to recognize exceptional hotel partners.
President and CEO Don Staley had the honor of surprising four individuals as Tuscaloosa County Hotel Champions of the year award recipients.
The categories of awards are listed below:
- General Manager of the Year, Huey Harris. This award recognizes an owner who portrays qualified customer and community service, is excellent in employee relations and motivates their team.
- Hotel Sales Professional of the Year Traci Channell comes from Triad Properties. The award is designed to recognize someone who demonstrates excellence in sales and developing new businesses.
The final recipients were given Hospitality Trailblazer awards, which recognize those who show endless support to the community.
The recipients are as follows:
- Dr. Alvin Niuh has been a part of the Hospitality Management program at the University of Alabama for over 30 years. He has taught thousands of students and shows his passion by being engaged with Alabama’s statewide industry efforts.
- Jean Archibald with Travelodge has dedicated 33 years to one hotel property and worked her way up to guest services manager. Guests often write notes of appreciation for her service and visitors often book a room at her property because of their relationship and connection with her.
The Hospitality Trailblazer award was officially renamed the Archibald-Williams Hospitality Trailblazer Award, in honor of Archibald and Lester Williams, a 30-year Hotel Capstone employee who lost his battle to an illness last year.
“It is an exciting honor to be able to show appreciation to these hotel partners, and to all of our hospitality partners across Tuscaloosa County,” said Staley. “As we have witnessed over the past two years, these individuals are incredibly resilient and dedicated and I am so proud of their efforts to help make Tuscaloosa County a great place to live, work and visit.”
The Alabama Restaurant and Hospitality Association also recognized several industry leaders across the state on Nov. 8.
This event honors the restaurant, lodging and tourism industry throughout Tuscaloosa.
The local award recipients during this evening are listed below:
- Taylor Liles with Hotel Indigo as the Hospitality Department Manager of the Year.
- Toby Wilson with Wilson Hospitality Management, Inc. as the Small Hotelier of the Year.
- Matt Hood with Hotel Capstone was given the Humanitarian Award.