KIDNAPPING CHARGES FOR TWO OF SAMANTHA PAYNE’S KILLERS THROWN OUT; SENTENCES AREN’T CHANGING
Two of the five people convicted in the 2015 Samantha Payne murder had their kidnapping charges thrown out on appeal, but the move won’t change their lengthy prison sentences on murder charges.
Alyssa Watson and Marcus George were convicted of first-degree kidnapping in addition to felony murder committed during a kidnapping. In the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals decision, the judges wrote those two convictions violate double jeopardy, so their kidnapping charges were vacated.
Watson and George were sentenced in December 2018 to prison for 30 years on each charge. Those sentences were being served concurrently so throwing out the kidnapping charges does not change their sentence.
The three others involved in Payne’s murder are:
- Michael Belcher, who was sentenced to death in April 20019 for his orchestration of Payne’s murder.
- Steven George, who is serving a life sentence with no possibility of parole after pleading guilty and testifying against the others.
- Chylli Bruce, who cooperated with investigators, received a five-year prison sentence and 15 years on probation.
FOLLOW THE TRIAL:
- Belcher Sentenced to Death in Samantha Payne Murder: April 3, 2019
- Two Arrested for Capital Murder After Body Found Monday: Nov. 10, 2015
- Body Found in Forest Identified – Two Charged in Murder: Nov. 11, 2015
- Two New Arrests in Samantha Payne Case: Nov. 13, 2015
- Payne Murder Suspects Attend Preliminary Hearing: Dec. 23, 2015
- Two More Facing Murder Charges in Heinous 2015 Killing: May 21, 2018
- Man Pleads Guilty With Possibility of Parole in 2015 Murder of Samantha Payne: Nov. 6, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Witnesses Testify, Trial Continues Tuesday: Nov. 9, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Man Who Pleaded Guilty Testifies: Nov. 13, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Woman Who Pleaded Guilty Testifies Against Two on Trial: Nov. 14, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Jury Will Reconvene to Settle on Verdict: Nov. 16, 2018
- 2 on Trial in Samantha Payne Murder Found Guilty: Nov. 19, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Two Sentenced to 30 Years for Kidnapping, Murder: Dec. 17, 2018
- Samantha Payne Trial: Last Defendant on Trial Facing Death Penalty: March 11, 2019
- Samantha Payne Trial: Calls Reveal Belcher Wanted Letters Sent to Another Defendant: March 12, 2019
- Samantha Payne Trial: Forensics Expert, Medical Examiner Give Insight on 2015 Murder: March 13, 2019
- Samantha Payne Trial: Michael Belcher Found Guilty of Capital Murder: March 15, 2019