HOUSE FIRE SURVIVOR CREDITS SMOKE DETECTOR FOR SAVING HER LIFE

1280x960 11004p00 Slnib

fire truck

It’s been nearly 3 months since Cecelia Furlow watched her house in Dora go up in flames.

She was saved, however, by a smoke detector given to her by the Argo Fire Department just days before. That detector came thanks to the Red Cross’ Home Fire Campaign.

Today, Furlow is living in a mobile home with help from the community and several local agencies, and said she wants to remind everyone how important it is to have a working smoke detector.

“After the incident that I had, yes, I recommend it 100 percent, 100 percent,” she said.

Thanks to Tuscaloosa’s Get Alarmed program, which began in 2006, the Tuscaloosa Fire Department has installed more than 6,000 smoke detectors in the area.

Categories: Archives, Local News