BE PREPARED: BACK TO SCHOOL DATES, DETAILS FOR CITY, COUNTY, PRIVATE, POSTSECONDARY
For thousands of schoolchildren in Tuscaloosa County, this will be the last full week of summer vacation.
Tuscaloosa City and County public schools begin classes on Aug. 7, a Wednesday. Teachers in both systems will participate in Institute Day, a gathering of all system employees, on Aug. 1. Teachers will then have a couple of in-service work days leading up to the Aug. 7 beginning of classes.
The Tuscaloosa County School System operates 34 schools with more than 18,000 students, while Tuscaloosa City Schools has 23 schools and around 10,700 students.
Among area private schools:
- Tuscaloosa Academy – 420 Rice Valley Road N. – begins Aug. 7
- Holy Spirit Catholic School – 601 James I. Harrison Jr. Parkway – begins Aug. 8
- Holy Spirit plans to dismiss at 1 p.m. on its first day
- North River Christian Academy – 1785 McFarland Blvd. N. – begins Aug. 8
- American Christian Academy – 2300 Veterans Memorial Parkway – begins Aug. 12
- The Capitol School – 2828 Sixth St. – begins Aug. 14
- Tuscaloosa Christian School – 1601 Prude Mill Road in Cottondale – begins Aug. 14
Meanwhile, Tuscaloosa area college students will have a few more weeks of freedom: the University of Alabama and Stillman College begin Aug. 21, while Shelton State Community College will begin Aug. 19.