BACK-TO-SCHOOL TAX-FREE WEEKEND STARTS FRIDAY
It’s back-to-school time, and Alabama wants to help your budget with a weekend of tax-free shopping.
Alabama’s 10th annual sales tax holiday begins Friday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Sunday, Aug. 9 at midnight.
The tax-free weekend gives shoppers an opportunity to purchase school supplies, computers and clothes without having to pay sales tax.
Tuscaloosa county and several surrounding counties are participating.
So what can you get tax free this weekend?
- Clothing up to $100 (per clothing article)
- Computers, tablets or laptops up to $750
- Computer software
- Computer storage media, such as flash drives or portable hard drives
- Printers and printing supplies
- School supplies, art supplies and instructional material up to $50
- Books up to $30
What’s not tax free?
- Clothing accessories, such as belt buckles, handbags, cosmetics, umbrellas
- Recreational equipment, such as ballet shoes or band instruments
- Protective equipment, such as breathing masks or hard hats
- Video game systems or video games of a non-educational nature
- Magazines or newspapers