Alabama extending indoor mask rule through Oct. 1
The University of Alabama is extending its on-campus face coverings requirement through Oct. 1.
Masks are required inside all non-residential campus buildings, including all classrooms and academic buildings and on-campus transportation.
The rule applies to anyone on campus, whether or not they are vaccinated.
Limited exceptions include:
- In-office workspaces when distanced
- When alone in offices and private workspaces
- In residence hall rooms
- In residential common areas when distanced
- While actively eating or drinking (in dining venues – while seated at a table)
- While actively exercising
- When teaching, if distanced and behind plexiglass
College of Community Health Sciences Dean Dr. Richard Friend said mask requirements and encouraging vaccines will help keep students in class this semester.
According to the University of Alabama System’s COVID-19 Dashboard, 194 students and 23 faculty or staff members reported a positive COVID-19 test between Aug. 23 and Aug 29.