3 escape from house fire early Tuesday

By WVUA 23 News Reporter Elise Anzaldua

A family of three escaped an early morning fire at their home Tuesday in the Northwood Lake subdivision in Northport.

Investigators said they believe the fire started in the garage, but the investigation is still ongoing.

Northport Fire Chief Bart Marshall said the family is lucky to be alive.

“There were three occupants already self-rescued out of the structure,” Marshall said. “They were transported to DCH for smoke inhalation but have since been released.”

Marshall said everyone was awoken by the family cat and they managed to get out safely. Northport Fire Rescue was able to contain the fire in under 45 minutes.

“I’m extremely thankful nobody was hurt even for our firefighters also because the structure had lost its integrity when we arrived and then with everybody being out it kept us out of danger having to go in there,” said Marshall.

Marshall said the best way to protect you and your family from a potential home fire is to make sure your smoke detectors are up and running.

Categories: Featured, Local News