UPDATE: Both victims in the shooting have died, according to Tuscaloosa Metro Homicide’s Lt. Kip Hart. A 65 year old female, 20 year old male were shot around noon by another man who is now in police custody after a seven-hour standoff. Police say the was a domestic situation.

UPDATE: Tuscaloosa Police have the suspect accused of shooting a man and woman this afternoon in custody after a seven-hour standoff.

A shooting on 20th Avenue East in Tuscaloosa around noonon Thursday prompted a massive police response that continues into the evening.

<p>A male shooter, who remains barricaded inside a home on 20th Avenue East, reportedly shot two adult victims who were transported to DCH Regional Medical Center. The condition of both the male and female victim are unknown at this time.</p><div></div><p>Dozens of police, detectives, and other first responders lined 20th Avenue East and Jug Factory Road. The number of police began to decrease as SWAT Team negotiations with the shooter continued.</p><div></div><p>District 7 Councilwoman Sonya McKinstry lives on 20th Avenue East not far from the shooting’s location.</p><p>“I’m out here as a neighbor, of course, but I’m also out here in a City Council capacity of letting the rest of the neighbors know what’s going on,” she said.</p><div></div><p>Her heart is with the victims, she said.</p><div></div><p>“We’re just praying that they’re going to be OK,” she said.</p><div></div><p>Lt. Teena Richardson with the Tuscaloosa Police Department said their massive response is normal for something of this magnitude.</p><div></div><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>“Anytime you have a shooting incident, then you’re going to have a lot of officers responding,” she said. “On the scene now, we have Tuscaloosa police and their SRT team and homicide working the scene right now.”</p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p>

Categories: Archives, Local News